Saturday, August 30, 2008

20 years

It is 20 years since I left highschool ... how scary.

My class had a reunion, in my absence of course, on August 16th, and although I thought nothing of it at the time, since I was on the invitation mailing list, I have been flooded this weekend by emails from those who attended, including one email with photographs of the actual event.

Naturally, despite the fact that I probably would not have gone to the thing even if I had been in the same country that it was being held in at the time, my curiosity got the better of me, and I went to look at the pics of the event.

My first reaction was - who the hell are these people? It took me a long time to recognize most of them, although one or two still look the same. Fortunately, they were wearing name tags, otherwise I would have been totally lost.

One of my former classmates has set up a facebook group for the Class of 88, and I debated long and hard before joining, but finally I realised that there were actually people in the group who I'd missed being in touch with.

There were around 1200 people at my highschool, divided into six years, each year having around 7 classes, and although in the first year we pretty much stuck to our classes, once we started taking elective courses and getting involved in other activities, we mingled more and I guess I would have been social with more than half of the 200 in my year.

But after highschool, I lost contact with most of them, since much of what we had in common had simply been six years of schooling in a shared environment. The school was not a Jewish school, and I found myself gravitating to a more Jewish social circle at university. Later on, I moved to Israel which of course effectively severed any ties that were not strong enough to withstand the distance. Now, however, I'm feeling awash with nostalgia and I've found myself searching for former classmates with reckless abandon. I'm not even sure why, but something in me wants to know, I guess, that they're doing ok. I know of one former classmate who passed away, and I guess I just want to check that the rest of them are still alive.

I'm not even sure why I'm blogging about this, given the absolute paucity of entries on this blog this year. Perhaps this is just my way of slipping back into the swing of the whole bloggitude of it all.

8 Comments:

Blogger Nobody said...

My first reaction was - who the hell are these people? It took me a long time to recognize most of them, although one or two still look the same. Fortunately, they were wearing name tags, otherwise I would have been totally lost.

Well. On the bright side the recognition thing usually start improving at some point as time passes by (this is because they usually have some inscriptions on tombs in cemeteries).

30 August, 2008 14:21  
Blogger Nobody said...

Sorry, man. I am just trying to be encouraging

30 August, 2008 14:22  
Blogger nominally challenged said...

Hahah, but by then I probably won't be able to see well enough to read the inscriptions ... so it still won't work.

31 August, 2008 00:02  
Blogger Kiwi Boy said...

I often wonder what life will be like 10 years from now, 20 years from now etc. Will I have the same friends? Will my family remain the same? What will I be doing? and other such questions, you know.
But then I think, what's the point of thinking about all this, it's not happening NOW. What has happened in the past has happened, whatever will be will be, it's best to live in the present.

03 September, 2008 00:35  
Blogger Nobody said...

Kiwi Boy said...

I often wonder what life will be like 10 years from now, 20 years from now etc. Will I have the same friends? Will my family remain the same? What will I be doing? and other such questions, you know.


Difficult questions, kiwi boy. I am not sure anybody knows the answers, though with a reasonable degree of certainty I can tell you what life will be like in something like 100 years from now - At that point you will be no longer wondering so much.

:D

03 September, 2008 02:52  
Blogger Nizo said...

"with a reasonable degree of certainty I can tell you what life will be like in something like 100 years from now - At that point you will be no longer wondering so much."

You my friend are one witty fairy from Oz.

--

Yallah write!!!

08 September, 2008 21:15  
Blogger Nobody said...

;)

The awareness of death, ya nizo, is an integral part of emotional intelligence. I really wish the author of this blog could have dwelt more on this timeless subject, so that we could come here to practice our emotional skills.

:D :D

15 September, 2008 12:52  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

replica patek philippe watches ,replica vacheron constantin watches ,cheap audemars piguet watches ,replica alange sohne watches ,fake franck muller watches ,discount iwc watches ,replica jaeger lecoultre watches ,wholesale chopard watches ,replica mont blanc watches cheap rolex datejusts watches ,replica chanel watches ,fake gucci watches ,cheap christian louboutin shoes,fake christian louboutin pumps,discount christian louboutin sandals,wholesale christian louboutin boots

20 November, 2009 05:29  

Post a Comment

<< Home