Friday, October 20, 2006

Autumn brings out the handiman in me ...


table chairs, originally uploaded by nominally_challenged.

This is one of my projects for autumn (or "fall", if you must).

I have decided to renovate my outdoor furniture. When I say "outdoor furniture", all I really mean is "indoor furniture which, due to space constraints inside this apartment, has been rotting outside for about 3 years". As you can see, though, it's not in such bad shape, all things considered.

I took the table top off, and the wicker seat covers, because they were in bad shape, and now I need to work on what's left. I have already ordered a round glass table top, which should look quite eclectic, and I have paint to touch up (and protect) the wood, but I now need some way of upholstering the chairs so that they are (a) comfortable to sit on; (b) weather proof; (c) objectively attractive (and not necessarily in that order).

What I think would be best would be to get some of that mesh like synthetic stuff that they use for beach chairs, preferably in either a similar color green to the color of the stain, or in cream, but I'm not sure where you get that from.

Any ideas?

7 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Warning: snarky comment too follow
Shouldn't that be handyman?
(too chicken to identify myself)

20 October, 2006 02:44  
Blogger nominally challenged said...

anonymous - um, well, yeah. that too.
God, how embarrassing, and now I can't change it, because you've already commented on it, and if I change it, your comment will make no sense.
ACK!
This is the reason why I prefer not to edit my own work ...

20 October, 2006 03:04  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Wow, autumn apparently also brings out the blogger in you! Four posts in a single hour - that beats even Idan's record-breaking blogging spree suring the war. I'm impressed :)

20 October, 2006 04:29  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

You can change it and delete my comment...I would deserve it!

20 October, 2006 04:40  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I just want to say that (despite expectations to the contrary) "anonymous" wasn't me.

20 October, 2006 04:42  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

at Salame stree, really close to the corner with Schoken street, there is a place where they sell all kinds of "plastic cloth" (i don't know a better way of describing it.), mostly for awnings and that kind of stuff.
A few year ago they sewed me big cushions for my balcony seat, made out of cloth which feels like canvas, but they are made out of all-weather artificial stuff which has withstood really difficult conditions close to the beach (rain, sun & salty air).
You could take of the rotting stuff from the chair frame, then cover it with a piece of wood, or rope netting and a pillow of this stuff on top.

Good luck

21 October, 2006 05:18  
Blogger nominally challenged said...

Yuyume thanks!! That sounds like exactly the place I need to go to. I may have to take my chairs to them, but I'm sure that's not a big deal either.

21 October, 2006 12:34  

Post a Comment

<< Home