Tuesday, August 29, 2006

Oh No! I've been memed!!

I don't even really know what the word means, but I've been tagged for a meme, which looks to be something like a chain letter, minus the threat that if I don't send it to ten people within ten minutes of reading, my spleen will spontaneously combust, my dog will commit a major-league white-collar crime and a good friend's grandmother will stub her toe.

Anyway, here goes. The 'meme' (definition, anyone?) is about books:

1. Name one book that changed your life:
The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy

2. One book you've read more than once:
The Last Continent, Terry Pratchett

3. One book you'd want on a desert island:
Whatever Terry Pratchett's latest is at that stage, with a standing order for each time he publishes a new one (which is at a rate of knots anyway)

4. One book that made you laugh:
When I was a child we had a book containing scripts of the BBC's 1950s Goon Show (Spike Milligan, Peter Sellars and Harry Secombe). I was giggling at those guys from a very early age.

5. One book that made you cry:
Exodus, (the Leon Uris one, not the God one), but I was 13 at the time.

6. One book you wish you'd written:
Ok, it's not a book, it's a play - Arcadia by Tom Stoppard. The first play that I saw that so impressed me that I went out and bought the script afterwards, just so that I could read it again (and I have, several times since).

7. One book you wish had never been written:
Lord Jim by Joseph Konrad. 400-odd pages of guilt that I had to read for my final exams in year 12 - and which, I'm proud to say, I didn't even open. I mean, common, I have a Jewish mother - as if Joseph Konrad could teach me about guilt??

8. One book you're currently reading:
Well, in the bathroom I have Vol. 2 of the Monty Python's Flying Circus - All the Words (why does it look as though all I read are film, tv or theater scripts?), and by my bed, I have essays by Yeshayahu Liebovitz (in Hebrew) (and no, I can't remember what the book's called, and I'm in the salon now, and I couldn't be bothered going to get it to find out).

9. One book you've been meaning to read:
I don't think there is one right now - that's why I've got Liebovitz by my bed and Monty Python in the bathroom. Any suggestions for something compelling or funny or both?

10. Tag five people:
Well, Yael tagged all my people and then suggested that I tag them again.
I'm not going to do that, because, well, that's just not the sort of thing that I'd do.
So instead, we're going to do this using the honor system:

If you like this meme (or even if you hated it), I invite you to consider yourself tagged, and answer the points in it accordingly.

To make it slightly more interesting, please let me know in the comments section if you decided to do that :)

10 Comments:

Blogger Stefanella said...

How do you go about tagging yourself? I would feel like a right dork. "I hereby dub myself Queen of Tel Aviv for a Day!" Are you gonna be at soup this Friday?

29 August, 2006 18:26  
Blogger lisoosh said...

Well as someone who owns every Discworld book ever published, as well as Diggers and some joint books with Neil Gaiman you just won major points with me.

I don't have a blog (I consider myself a commenter only) but I'll give you quick answers so that can count as one.

1. The Israelis, by something Meyer - fictionalized early pioneers made me make my first stay on kibbutz.
2. Little Women. Narnia series. Lord of the Rings.
3. Lord of the Rings.
4. Anything by Terry Pratchet, Neil Gaiman or Ben Elton.
5. Prayer for Owen Meany, John Irving. QBIX? (courtroom one) Leon Uris.
6. Liars Club (but I wouldn't want her life).
7. Big one springs to mind, but I won't say.
8. Sad to say these days I have time for nothing deeper than Vanity Fair.
9. Franzen, The Corrections. Received as B'day present.

Hope that protects your spleen.

29 August, 2006 21:01  
Blogger Matthew R. Loney said...

Here`s mine (Canadian dude in Japan)

1. Walden by Thoreau - I changed the course of my life after reading that.

2. Many! The Sun Also Rises, Desolation Angels by Kerouac, Who`s Afraid of Virginia Woolf? by Albee

3. Desert Island book? Desolation Angels or Tropic of Cancer by Miller

4.Laugh? Maybe I`m too serious, but I don`t read too many funny books. I think the book was called Don`t Lean Out the Window - about three young guys travelling in Europe.

5. Cry? Wit by Margaret Edson, the play and the HBO movie with Emma Thompson had me peeing from my eyes. To Kill a Mockingbird by Harper Lee - You`ll catch me crying at the movie as well.

6. The Sun Also Rises, Tropic of Cancer/Capricorn, Simulacra and Simulation by Baudrillard is an amazing mind labyrinth that I love.

7. There is a book I saw people carrying around in Uni called Little Dorritt that was about tenthousandpages thick with an old woman with a bonnet on the cover. The world could survive without anyone reading that one. Otherwise, I try not to read books that are that bad!

8. Currently - A Short Walk in the Hindu Kush by Eric Newby. Actually funny and informative. Also For Whom the Bell Tolls.

9. Meaning to read? - Love in the Time of Cholera by Marquez. Just can`t get started on it.

Cheers for some interesting blogging!

30 August, 2006 07:32  
Blogger yudit said...

1. Name one book that changed your life:
Le Dernier Des Justes by Andre Schwarz-Bart, (the Last of the Just)

2. One book you've read more than once:
"See Under: Love" by David Grossman עיין ערך: אהבה
and "Nothing New on the Western Front" by Remarque.

3. One book you'd want on a desert island:
empty copybook, and a pen

4. One book that made you laugh:
The Good Soldier Schweik, by Hasek
& "Monty Python's Bok"

5. One book that made you cry:
some poetry by Paul Celan


6. One book you wish you'd written:
the Master and Margarita (Bulgakov)

7. One book you wish had never been written:
Mein Kampf



8. One book you're currently reading:
סיפור על אהבה וחושך
by Amos Oz

9. One book you've been meaning to read:
next book by Tom Segev to come out



10. Tag five people:
no way

30 August, 2006 08:17  
Blogger nominally challenged said...

Hmm, I'm starting to see the merit in this meme thing, now that I've got your replies :)

Stephanie - only for a day? Heck, if you're gonna be Queen of TLV, you should do it for a whole month at least. And yep, I'm going to be at soup on Friday. Remind me to show you an SMS I received, which is pertinent to one of our recent exchanges :)

Lisoosh! Wow, you own every Discworld book? I want to have your puppies! My collection is growing, but I'm not quite there yet ... damn.

Yael - although it's entirely your fault, I'm actually enjoying it (ack!)

Bullfighter - hey you, thanks for passing by :) Good to hear from you, and I'm definitely going to try out that book by Baudrillard that you described as a mind labyrinth. I'm in need of a good labyrinth for my mind. Oh, and read Marquez. :)

Yudit - with you totally on Grossman. What is "Monty Python's Bok" - I think I need that one on my shelf too ...

People, thanks so much for responding! And here was me thinking this meme thing was just a bit dicky.

And just cos I replied already to the first five replies, doesn't mean no-one else can comment! :)

30 August, 2006 11:05  
Blogger lisoosh said...

Oooh... I also forgot Nickel and Dimed by Barbara Ehrlinger - her experiences living on minimum wage, a real eye opener.

30 August, 2006 16:28  
Blogger j-jen said...

Terry Prachett?! I knew there was a reason I liked you and having lisoosh own up to being another TP fan is like the icing on the cake! Woot!

Up Lancre! Down Ankh-Morpork! :D

31 August, 2006 05:43  
Blogger nominally challenged said...

lisoosh - sounds good, I'll look out for it.

j-jen - yeah! discworld lovers of the ... um ... world, unite! or something like that. But I'm a definite Morporkian, I'm afraid. You'll only catch me up in Lancre doing research into elves.

Actually, when I think about it, I'd probably live in Ephebe and commute :)

31 August, 2006 11:07  
Blogger Udge said...

Tagged myself, and posted the results.

When I was a lad, the Goon Shows were rebroadcast on CBC radio on Saturday mornings. I would lie in bed and listen to them, literally crying with laughter. Happy days.

02 September, 2006 10:12  
Blogger Udge said...

And BTW the (a) definition of meme is here.

02 September, 2006 10:13  

Post a Comment

<< Home