Wednesday, July 19, 2006

Bombs and Black Outs

Having checked where my friendly local bomb-shelter is (just in case, not that I'm panicking or anything ...), I decided to take a look at it yesterday while walking my doggie (it is on our normal pooping round). And yep - it's there. And there's a lovely shiny padlock on it, keeping it very firmly and convincingly closed. Good to know. We have a minute to get there if a siren goes off. I just hope that the 'Gingi' with the keys - whoever he may be - doesn't chose that minute to take his Yediot Ahronot to the toilet with him ...

In other news, we had an electricity black-out this morning. I was sure that something big had been hit. And apparently the black-out was almost country-wide. But rather than it being the result of someone targetting our electricity supplies, the Electricity Company explains that (as quoted in Ynet in Hebrew) some sort of switch blew, causing the Ashdod Power Station to simply crash.

Now, I don't know about you people, but I know that in my place, if I have the aircon on in one room, and the hot water boiler on as well, I can't for instance, turn on the kettle, because it will short out my entire apartment. This was, I thought, a given when living in Israel. So I can just imagine the look on the face of the little guy in the Ashdod Power Station who plugged that kettle into that socket that's falling out of the wall (you know the one, right? with the five extension cords attached to it?), and then let out a little "oops!" before running off to pretend that he was really in the bathroom when it happened.

Once again, I am forced to think, that the people in the Electricity Company are simply being paid too much ...

6 Comments:

Blogger Lioness said...

Noorster has ordered me to come here and spread the lurve so this is me, spreading the lurve. Am imbecilic w exams so hope the lurve won't displease you much but - welcome to bloggy land.

19 July, 2006 07:52  
Blogger SavtaDotty said...

Wow! Now you've got the lioness comenting on your blog. What's the world coming to?

19 July, 2006 22:31  
Blogger nominally challenged said...

Lioness: Welcome to my little piece of bloggy land. Thanks for the lurve! Have to say that when I first read your comment, I thought you were here to spread the larvae. You can imagine my relief perhaps ...

Savta: Yup! Who'da thunk it?

Yael: I am *soooo* convinced that it was someone's kettle ...

19 July, 2006 23:23  
Blogger Lioness said...

Oooh, larvae, I like you. And Savtadotty, was that an inslut??

20 July, 2006 05:33  
Blogger Lioness said...

"Inslut"... *sob!* INSULT, obviously.

20 July, 2006 05:33  
Blogger Stefanella said...

What fun. I get on your blog and laugh. . . and laugh and laugh some more. What good fun you are.

20 July, 2006 13:15  

Post a Comment

<< Home