Sunday, July 16, 2006

Be Alert!

I just woke up, once again at the crack of noon, to read that Ynet, here, (sorry it's in Hebrew, the English version of this page hasn't come out yet) is reporting that our Rearguard Forces are warning residents of Tel Aviv to (and I quote) 'Be Alert'.

The article quotes military sources as saying that they've reassessed the Hizbollah threat and based on their reassessments, places as south as Tel Aviv might be a target (this means, of course, that they always knew Tel Aviv was a target, they just weren't going to tell us).

This comes after the renewed attacks on Haifa, killing 8 people this morning.

So they got it wrong before, they changed their minds, and now they want me to be alert. I can't help thinking just what that means. I mean, the delapidated building I live in has no common bomb shelter, and my own apartment hasn't got one either, nor do I have a "secure living space" as required under modern building codes, as this place was built before there were such requirements. I don't know where the local bomb shelter is, or if they'll let my dog in there (they probably will, he's totally cute).

But the important thing is, they want me to be alert. Alert for what? Bombs? I think it's going to be a little late to be alert if I can see the bombs already dropping. What am I supposed to do? Point at them? Shout: "there they are!!"? I'm supposed to be alert.

Reminds me of a joke my father tells: 'Be alert, the world needs more lerts' ...

3 Comments:

Blogger SavtaDotty said...

War party? Without me? Hmmmph.

16 July, 2006 10:19  
Blogger nominally challenged said...

I agree!

We can't have a war party without Savta. Who's going to make the pecan pies, for heaven's sakes!

That's it. I'm officially calling off the war until Savta gets back.

16 July, 2006 10:33  
Blogger SavtaDotty said...

Wait 'til I dazzle them with my new sparkly eyeglasses!

16 July, 2006 21:11  

Post a Comment

<< Home