Sunday, March 25, 2007

Michelangelo for a day ...

I really haven't got time to post today, but I'm going to anyway.

The reason I haven't got time to post is that I have a pile of work on my desk, and the reason I have a pile of work on my desk is that I spent this morning pretending to be Michelangelo.

Well, sort of.

I was not painting the ceiling of a chapel adjacent to the Vatican. I was, however, painting a ceiling in a suburban villa belonging to people who clearly have far too much money. Fortunately, perhaps, I was not painting the ceiling lying on my back on the top of some scaffold, as Michelangelo had done. This ceiling has yet to be installed, and was therefore simply leaning against a wall. This was convenient.

On the other hand, unlike in Michelangelo's case, there were nowhere nearly enough naked models wandering around to be painted. In fact, there was not a single one. One can only presume that in order to arrange that, you have to be on really good terms with the Pope. Neither I, nor the homeowners, despite their copious pecuniosity, have that particular claim to fame.

What there was, however, was a statue of the homeowners' daughter (a woman in her 30s, it should be added) rising nymph-like (and nymph-clad) out of the blue waters of a rather large wading pool in the neo-drek style, cast in bronze.

And one is left truly wondering why it is that money so seldom buys taste ...

10 Comments:

Blogger Lirun said...

dude

u need to check out my pad and give me your professional opinion..

how are you going these days anyway?

26 March, 2007 01:45  
Blogger Kiwi Boy said...

Did you at least paint the ceiling pink? Or do something else nasty to make them feel guilty for making you work so hard in such terrible conditions [e.g. absence of nude male models]?

26 March, 2007 06:55  
Blogger nominally challenged said...

Lirun - with pleasure. How about during Pesach? Think you'll have some free time?

Kiwi Boy - Pink would have been a distinct improvement on what the customer wanted, but the problem is, the customer is always right, even when they are wrong ... actually, especially when they are wrong ... :)

27 March, 2007 09:36  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I just so don't know what to say here. That mental image of the homeowners' bronze-cast nymph-like daughter rising out...just. ahem, speechless.

Now where do these people live! I don't have room in my apartment for a statuette rising out of a soup bowl! But I tell you what, they can have my sense and I'll be happy to take their money. If you give them your taste, we could both come off quite nicely --I'd be willing to sell out, oh I mean share

29 March, 2007 06:32  
Blogger Andrey said...

Been watching channel 8 ?

29 March, 2007 14:05  
Blogger Lirun said...

ill be in the alps.. maybe after?

30 March, 2007 02:25  
Blogger nominally challenged said...

Yaeli - believe me - you don't wanna go there :)

Andrey - No, I haven't. What have I been missing??

Lirun - wow. Ok, the alps trump me, but not by much :) After you come back sounds good. Have fun!!

30 March, 2007 14:49  
Blogger IsraeliDiary said...

I wish I could see that painting. :)
Do you have any photos taken?

So you wish to be like Michelangelo, huh?

Who knows, maybe in 500 years from now, this ceiling will be preserved and be considered one of the greatest works of... you didn't forget to sign it, did you? ;)

31 March, 2007 03:46  
Blogger Andrey said...

A series about the life of Michelangelo.

31 March, 2007 06:20  
Blogger nominally challenged said...

Soldier I did take photos, but believe me, this is not a painting you want to see. This is also not exactly a painting I wanted to paint. You can see some other of my stuff on earlier posts which I don't know how to link to - sorry :)

Andrey Damn. I always miss the good shows on TV. Somehow, each time I turn the television on, they're always showing that same documentary about how dinosaurs had feathers ... my luck ...

31 March, 2007 15:41  

Post a Comment

<< Home