Tuesday, March 13, 2007

Name Nominally Challenged!

The unfortunate result of this is that my body has finally caught up with me and is now punishing me for doing too much work in too short a period of time. In my malaise, then (and its colleague, boredom), as I sit here in bed watching Eddie Izzard clips on YouTube and attempting to teach my dog that "fetch" implies "and bring back to me" rather than simply "go to object, bark and look cute", I have decided that a small competition is in order.

The competition is as follows.

Way back in the mists of time, in fact, in around January 2005, a matter of days after commencing this blog, I wrote the following:

And I fully intend to run a serious name competition - entitled (oddly enough)
"Name Nominally Challenged!". But, before I do that, I need to make sure that
you could even give a damn, so I shall keep on typing, and hope that something
that I write strikes a chord somewhere, with someone. Someday. Some - well, you
get the idea.


That was because, then as now, the name "Nominally Challenged" is, well, not a very good name, although I admit that it has sort of stuck. The problematic nature of this name really hit home a few days ago when ze vonderful Lisa, in referring to a post I'd written, called me (and I quote), "Nomchy" (scroll down, you'll come to it). While I was dutifully endeared, I realized that there was something wrong with this.

Now, I will be so bold as to say that apparently, some of the things that I write seem to strike chords in some places, and some persons may care to offer suggestions as to what my Blogging Name should be. Note, I am not proposing to change the actual name of my blog. I think that "A Whiff of the Med" is a good name which says many things, some of which I may even agree with. However, "Nominally Challenged" has done its dash and I think it's time for a makeover.

I think that the name should be pertinent to the blog and its contents and I invite your suggestions accordingly. Please make it creative, people, and not too offensive - remember, my grandmother doesn't read this blog, but yours might. Finally, just in case anyone was considering this - variations on my actual given name are, by definition almost, not creative.




Oh. P.S. - I haven't come up with a prize yet, so suggestions for prizes will be welcome as well. I don't promise to accept any of the proposed names or prizes, but it will be fun to see what you people can come up with.

13 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

I'll go ahead and suggest 'Emperor Fabulous' - even though you might be too modest to call yourself that.

13 March, 2007 07:36  
Blogger Kiwi Boy said...

A twist to an Israeli name, e.g. David to Da-weed [The weed!] would be funny, though I dunno if you'd like it.

Ooh here's a good one: Mr Banana-hammock.

Prize? You visit the winner's city. Quick, the good weather in Dubai is about to come to an end.

13 March, 2007 07:45  
Blogger nominally challenged said...

Noorster - LOL @ "Emperor Fabulous", but I think not ... with respect :)

kiwi boy - hehehe, Da-Weed is funny, but I think that it might be over some people's heads ... as for "Banana-Hammock" - well, that went over my head ... :)

As for coming to Dubai, I'd love to do that one day. Are Israelis allowed to go there?

13 March, 2007 12:28  
Blogger Nizo said...

Before I even proceed, allow me to say that a rose by any other name...

Don't feel obligated to tell me what you think of them , but here they are:


Rapturous Rambler
Artiste Delittante
TA's Ventriloquist
TA's Scrivener
Scribbling Scribe
Virtual Virtuoso

13 March, 2007 15:45  
Blogger nominally challenged said...

Nizo - you flatter me, sir!! And now, I blush ...

Thank you for the suggestions! At your request, I won't go into them individiually, but I do like them - though I'm not sure about the ventriloquist one. The Scribbling Scribe is very cute - and almost medieval (in a positive way).

Wow, I'm liking this competition! :)

14 March, 2007 01:38  
Blogger Kiwi Boy said...

Nomchy,

Israelis aren't really allowed here, but the law seems to be changing.. a few Israeli diplomats were turned back from Dubai airport a few months ago just because they didn't have the right papers - so if you have the right papers, maybe you can come visit :) Though the gay bars aren't as nice as they're in Israel, 'cause you know, the police arrest you for being 'immoral', haha.

14 March, 2007 07:46  
Blogger nominally challenged said...

Kiwi Boy - "Nomchy" is a no-no, I'm afraid. Noorster gets very upset when she hears it and you'll have to answer to her next time ... you have been warned! :)

Hmm, as for Dubai - what are the right papers? I don't much like the idea of being arrested for being 'immoral'. If I'm going to be arrested, I'd rather it be for something tangible rather than for a concept, so, um, let me know when they repeal that one, ok?

14 March, 2007 12:37  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Sand in Stilettos
Sandy Stilettos
Gucci Made Me

let me thing some more...

17 March, 2007 12:06  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

How about

TA Darling (two meanings in one!)
Gucci Owned
Mediterranean Muser

19 March, 2007 03:40  
Blogger nominally challenged said...

John - I like the sand and stiletto theme - that has promise. Gucci references are also good, though not imperative :)

Yaeli - Mediterranean Muser is nice alliteration. I like it.

But ... I still haven't made a decision. Thanks though, everyone who came up with suggestions. I'm hoping to decide on something in the next few days. I'll let you know as soon as I myself know :)

19 March, 2007 17:12  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

thing some more. god.

21 March, 2007 07:10  
Blogger nominally challenged said...

John - LOL. Actually, my personal view is that we should all thing some more. An optimal use of time, if I ever heard one ... :)

21 March, 2007 07:19  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hey,

I just wanted to bring to your attention to our new all political Blog. This is the official political Blog of the state of Israel. It's edited by our team of young professionals here at the Israeli Consulate in NY. Let us know what you think?


Here's the link www.israelpolitik.org

31 May, 2007 12:14  

Post a Comment

<< Home